Charleston as a whole is well known for its artisanal food culture, pleasant citizens and even dog-friendly establishments. Biking and walking are popular modes of transportation through the cobblestone streets as there are many parks, playgrounds and eateries just blocks from any home located here. Some of Charleston's best schools are also located in the 29401 zip code, specific information on which may be found by searching for homes using this zip code.
- Zip code: 29401
- Price Range: Single family homes in this neighborhood range from $800,000 to over $12 million.
- Lifestyle: Comfortable urban luxury
Parks and Playgrounds South of Broad
Whether you enjoy strolling through lush gardens and taking in the breathtaking views of the Cooper River or you need to get the kids out to burn off some energy while enjoying the outdoors, Downtown Charleston has you covered. Here are some don't-miss spots to add to your list of places to visit:
- Waterfront Park: The kids will enjoy splashing in the two large fountains located at either end of this scenic park, and the family-sized swings located on the pier are a great place to sit and enjoy some gelato on a warm day. The lush lawn is a fabulous spot for picnics, sunning, and taking in the views.
- Washington Square: Washington Square is a lush and lovely greenspace located behind City Hall at the corner of Meeting Street and Broad Street in the Charleston Historic District. Its 1.5 acres are dotted with live oaks and lined with brick paths. Due to its natural beauty, it is not unusual to witness a wedding here on the weekends.
- Battery and White Point Gardens: Located in the heart of Charleston's historic district, this prominent landmark provides a spectacular view of Fort Sumter and Charleston Harbor, where the Ashley and Cooper rivers empty into the Atlantic Ocean.
- Moultrie Playground: in addition to a playground for the kids, Moultrie playground featured lighted hard tennis courts, a basketball court and a ballfield. It is located next to Colonial Lake, just off Broad Street.
- Hazel Parker Playground: This neighborhood gem boasts a shaded playground, a small dog run at the north end of the park, and an Education Center that offers programs all year long.
Popular Eateries and Watery Attractions
There are far too many amazing eateries in this area to list them all. Imagine any meal and any occasion, and you'll find the perfect spot without trying very hard or walking too far. Here are a few Charleston favorites that highlight both Southern fare as well as Historic charm.
- Oak Steakhouse: Locally sourced beef & sustainable seafood in an elegantly renovated historic bank building.
- Husk: An ever-changing menu of locally sourced Southern dishes served in a restored Victorian-era home.
- Poogan's Porch: Traditional Southern cooking served in a Victorian townhouse with porches & a massive wine cellar.
- Slightly North of Broad (SNOB): Reinvented Southern & Lowcountry cuisine served in an airy, 18th-century warehouse.
- The Carolina Yacht Club: Just east of the Waterfront Park you'll find one of Charleston's more exclusive invitation-only clubs; The Carolina yacht club. Their membership is by invitation only, but members may sponsor friends to take advantage of some of the fine amenities.
- The Charleston Harbor Marina: Depart the Waterfront Park by way of the Charleston Water Taxi and arrive at one of Charleston's best marinas. The list of amenities is impressive, and includes activities for locals and visitors alike. Take advantage of the sightseeing tours, children's programs, and fine dining available at the Resort attached to this fine, full-service marina.
- The Charleston Water Taxi: Visitors and residents alike enjoy riding the Charleston Water Taxi; a convenient and fun way to travel from the peninsula to the Charleston Maritime Center which is home to the famed South Carolina Aquarium, Patriot's Point and the Charleston Harbor Marina.
The data relating to real estate for sale on our web site comes in part from the Broker Reciprocity Program of the Charleston Trident Multiple Listing Service. Listings held by brokerage firms other than Charleston Trident MLS, are marked with the Broker Reciprocity logo or the Broker Reciprocitysm thumbnail logo (a little black house) and detailed information about them includes the name of the listing brokers. INFORMATION DEEMED RELIABLE BUT NOT GUARANTEED. Copyright 2020 Charleston Trident Multiple Listing Service, Inc. All rights reserved.
Updated: 4th March, 2021 3:23 PM (UTC).